A community for all the editors on Youtube that work with Disney

HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NightsStolen

No. of posts : 62
Registration Date : 2014-10-25

PostSubject: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:53 pm

BEEN A WHILE, huh, dudettes! cyclops  

Well, I'm back with a topic on constructive criticism in the comments and whether or not it is welcome!

As some of you may or may not know, I like to leave very detailed comments or as detailed as I have the energy to make because I firmly believe that if someone worked hard on a video, they deserve to hear all of my thoughts and screams and squeals. But, sometimes, when I am not wholly enthralled by a video, I also have some things that I think I could say to help someone!

Not that I am by any means perfect or have any greater knowledge, because we're human and make mistakes tongue  But, sometimes, I feel like I am doing a disservice by not mentioning something they, perhaps, are not noticing in their videos!

Myself, personally, I am open to all sorts of constructive criticism so long as it is constructive and not intentionally disrespectful because no one likes that! So if you ever see something, say it! But not everyone is like that..... so I was wondering on your opinion?♥️

How do you feel about constructive criticism in people's comments and how would you react to receiving it? affraid
Would you prefer it in the comments Mad  or through a message?  Laughing The other way around? cheers or not at all? silent

-Kristin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/NightsStolen
cck95
Admin

No. of posts : 147
Registration Date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:33 am

I myself would love to get comments about what I could do better next time, or if it's something that doesn't really work in the video - but I think it would be best if the editor makes a comment about wanting it in the description of the video, than that people would make comments "here and there".
What I mean with that is that people can seem harsh in their comments - but it isn't on purpose, and if they make comments to the "wrong person", that one can feel bad about their work.
I have started to make a "Let me know what you think of the video-"note, because I want to know both the good and the bad with it. But some editors can't handle all the criticism. And the internet is also full of mean people.

What I would like to be a thing among us editors is that we make a mark or note on our videos if we truly want constructive Criticism. For example, Devianart has a option for artists to allow more constructive Criticism and thoughts- so why can't we?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/CCK95
NightsStolen

No. of posts : 62
Registration Date : 2014-10-25

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:26 pm

I completely agree with you!! Sometimes, when people can't handle those sorts of criticisms or simply don't want to hear them, you can really hurt their feelings by giving them which is why I always hold back on anything I have to say. And knowing how much courage it takes to even post something is enough, so why add onto it with unwelcome criticisms that can be misunderstood? At least for certain people.

But that is a really, really good idea I think I might start to do it even because I would never take it personally, especially if it's invited! Very Happy And when I make video, I have a really hard time at judging my own work, knowing whether or not it is bad or good, if a coloring works, etc. My only fear would be that people would misunderstand and think "Well, I have to leave a good and bad comment" and then dig too deep into the video and pick out one messy pixel and put that in the comment XD.

But hopefully, other editors pick it up too. It's a good habit, in my opinion: helps you grows. And I would love to know which editors are open to it entirely, not at all, or only on select videos~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/NightsStolen
MSSProductions

No. of posts : 55
Registration Date : 2014-10-17

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Oh, that's really an awesome idea, we should do that!! I'm always glad if someone gives me constructive critisism, I think it's an important part of getting better. I mean, if you don't know HOW you could do things better, how can you get better then? Of course, you're getting better by yourself aswell, but for myself if helps me A LOT if I see awesome videos, see what the editor did and how they did it and then remember those things when I edit. It also motivates me highly, because I wanna do awesome things like those too, or even better ones !! xDD haha.
We should definitely add that point to our videos. I will do it ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hollie1911

No. of posts : 15
Registration Date : 2015-08-15

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:01 pm

i love constructive criticism. i look back at some of the stuff i didnt know how to do.. like make my videos wide screen and how people suggested help ect. i know a younger me would have gotten a bit touchy about it but now i think its a great idea. anyone's more than welcome to leave some notes on my videos xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simmer265626

No. of posts : 1
Registration Date : 2015-08-16

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:43 am

I would love to get constructive criticism on videos so that's a great idea!I think it would help you get better at making videos and hearing others opinion about what works in a video and what doesn't! So if you have any constructive criticism you are welcome to comment on my videos:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RukiaShego

No. of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:32 pm

I love getting constructive criticism. It help me get better with my video's and I would love to get some on my video or comments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE9OABQbHG_gTs8B1qV5Rcg
Blissbirdie

No. of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:29 pm

Honestly, I'm a little afraid of any critics. I'll rather do my best until I'll be satisfied by my results. If I'm not I won't upload ANYTHING at all. I know that's wrong, but some time ago I've met some.. "critics". They were not constructive at all. Like. Nothing. At all. They were just a bunch of idiots!!1 -_____- Gah. Sorry, guys, some bad memories came up right into my head. Sorry. Everything is fine now, so there is nothing to be afraid! Very Happy And, yes, constructive criticism is a great, but rarely given thing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/blissbirdie/
AiraSora

No. of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:59 pm

@Blissbirdie wrote:
Honestly, I'm a little afraid of any critics. I'll rather do my best until I'll be satisfied by my results. If I'm not I won't upload ANYTHING at all. I know that's wrong, but some time ago I've met some.. "critics". They were not constructive at all. Like. Nothing. At all. They were just a bunch of idiots!!1 -_____- Gah. Sorry, guys, some bad memories came up right into my head. Sorry. Everything is fine now, so there is nothing to be afraid! Very Happy And, yes, constructive criticism is a great, but rarely given thing!

I have to agree with Blissbirdie here, I don't upload anything on my channel I'm not satisfied with. Or rather, if someone WERE to give my constructive criticism, I know for a fact that they can't tell me anything new. I'm my own biggest critic and I see flaws in everything I do (it's a curse honestly xD) But sometimes I choose just to be satisfied and happy with it anyway because, hey, no one is perfect. But since I am more than capable of seeing my own flaws, I tend to get irritated if someone tries to point them out to me. I'm like: "yeah, I see it myself, I'm not blind" xD I'm too self-critical to not criticize my own work :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hollie1911

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 pm

i dont think id ever upload anything to my channel if i wasnt 100% happy with it lol
xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anubis3200

No. of posts : 1
Registration Date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:14 pm

No one is going to upload something they are not happy with. However, looking back at your older work from like a year ago, can you honestly say that you are still 100% satisfied with it?

If not, that means you have not spotted some of the flaws back then. Pointing them out is a plus, but telling a way to improve is a double win.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AiraSora

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:55 am

@Anubis3200 wrote:
No one is going to upload something they are not happy with. However, looking back at your older work from like a year ago, can you honestly say that you are still 100% satisfied with it?

If not, that means you have not spotted some of the flaws back then. Pointing them out  is a plus, but telling a way to improve is a double win.

But what would be the point in telling someone that they should have changed this and that in a video that is obviously old? I mean, usually people develop through time on their own and it's not like people can go back to change old videos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LadySaraK

No. of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:23 pm

I think constructive criticism is generally a good idea & it can be very helpful but only if done in a sensible way. Personally, I've never had the courage to point out a flaw to someone, I always like to point out the good things about a video, things that I like (and in detail too); I think it encourages the editor to continue doing what they love and to even improve their style eventually, I've seen it happen. I don't like to go all Simon Cowell on someone when they've got potential, even if there are flaws in their editing. Even more so if they've just started editing recently or venturing into a new territory to them like crossovers and still getting the hang of it.

But if they mention (in the description) that there's something about the video they want an honest opinion about, like "is this coloring too strong/too dark?", "did I go overboard with ...?" I might be encouraged to voice my opinion.

I don't know what kind of criticism you have in mind for this discussion (although I'm guessing it has to do with crossovers and tiny details that people tend to forget that make the video more realistic) but I'd like to point out a few things here that I think we should take into account when criticizing someone's work, crossover or canon:
1- Keep in mind that while you might not like a certain style, others may be crazy about it, and I'm not talking about editing "errors" here, I'm talking about coloring, effects, typography...etc, for example: I usually don't like flashy overlays (like the stuff that makes the screen look dirty and scratched or have random text in it), I prefer light leaks and I would prefer to use them with discretion, but that doesn't mean that everyone thinks the same way! So different people have different tastes (one other reason I avoid pointing out things like that)

2- I think that sometimes the editor is aware of the errors in their video, like some of you have already pointed out. They might have spent HOURS trying to fix it, but they've already done so much work on the rest of the video that they just let it slip hoping that no one will notice (it happens). In that case if you point it out publicly in the comments... Very Happy You had it comin'

3- There could be an indirect way, if you're up to it of course, which is to mention whatever it is you have to say as an editing tip or in a mini-tutorial on your channel, especially if you notice it frequently with several editors and not just a single case.

4- I would never ever criticize someone without pointing out all the things that I genuinely like about their editing (that is, when and if I decide to criticize), because if you only point out the flaw or suggest a modification, it would be worse than people who comment on a video you spent hours doing saying - literally - just :"SONG????" as if there was nothing at all in your video worthy of praise.

Anyway, I think criticism should be in the form of personal messages, not public comments, it's more considerate and does the job just the same... and personally, I'm usually aware of flaws in my stuff and when I actually want to know how to overcome the problem, I will flat out ask in the description box.

I once received a comment (constructive criticism) a couple of years ago on a video and I found it useful (and it was written in a very nice way too), it had to do with the beginning of the video being too slow and quiet that he/she almost lost interest, even though the rest was of it was good, so I took a note to always make a good first impression within the first few seconds of the video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/engsarak
Cyndyph25x

No. of posts : 2
Registration Date : 2014-11-22

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:42 pm

engsarak wrote:

it would be worse than people who comment on a video you spent hours doing saying - literally - just :"SONG????" as if there was nothing at all in your video worthy of praise.

Oh yessss I HATE thaat!! All my efforts to receive that kind of comments, it brings me down you know xD
And yeah, as you said there are styles that we might not like (I don't like when there are too much overlays and you can barely see the scenes e.e) I agree with your points (:

Personally, I really like to receive constructive criticism, but I don't receive it frequently :c I guess I'll start to ask for it on my descriptions, because I think it could help me improve. (If you have something to say about my videos go on and tell mee<3)

I only give it when I feel that the editor don't notice certain flaws ('cause he/she keeps doing them in other videos) or when I'm asked to do it, sometimes new editors come and ask me to watch their videos and give them some advice. I try to be as picky as possible XD but always in a nice & kind way :3

I think we could do that, ask another editors to give their thoughts about one of our videos if we're not feeling sure about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/Cyndyph25x
AiraSora

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:33 am

@Cyndyph25x wrote:
engsarak wrote:

it would be worse than people who comment on a video you spent hours doing saying - literally - just :"SONG????" as if there was nothing at all in your video worthy of praise.

Oh yessss I HATE thaat!! All my efforts to receive that kind of comments, it brings me down you know xD
And yeah, as you said there are styles that we might not like (I don't like when there are too much overlays and you can barely see the scenes e.e) I agree with your points (:

Personally, I really like to receive constructive criticism, but I don't receive it frequently :c I guess I'll start to ask for it on my descriptions, because I think it could help me improve. (If you have something to say about my videos go on and tell mee<3)

I only give it when I feel that the editor don't notice certain flaws ('cause he/she keeps doing them in other videos) or when I'm asked to do it, sometimes new editors come and ask me to watch their videos and give them some advice. I try to be as picky as possible XD but always in a nice & kind way :3

I think we could do that, ask another editors to give their thoughts about one of our videos if we're not feeling sure about it.

I hate that song thing too but sometimes it bothers me more because I always put a link to the song in my description! So I always get soooo annoyed, I mean, just like in the goddamn description before you ask! xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hollie1911

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:06 pm

its never happened too much to me and i just ignore the comments when it dous. Its really easy to just google lyrics and so rude when they ask without commenting about the video.
i have told somebody off before for asking twice lol xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
katarinamor

No. of posts : 4
Registration Date : 2015-08-27

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:00 pm

A very interesting topic, and I've read everything that has been said here!Smile I second engsarak in every point, and generally agree with everyone - all opinions are very sensible.

My current policy on receiving criticism:

I’m happy to get any kind of feedback even if it’s criticism, and even if I find it to be unfair criticism – because anyway it gives me information about people’s impressions. Sometimes it helps me to see what works and what doesn’t (something like “Is that girl trying to bite off his head? – Oh, no I was heading for a kiss but maybe I got the size of the characters wrong!”)) or things that I just couldn’t see myself (someone mentioned my videos were too dark, which I just couldn’t see due to my screen preferences).

Yep, sometimes it is painful to hear that things you’d worked on FOR DAYS don’t work in the end (especially given that YouTube won’t allow you to just it and change the file without losing all comments & likes). But I’m thankful that people share their impressions and therefore help me at what I’m doing. And if I find it unfair/irrelevant, I just don’t follow the advice, no problem.)

On giving criticism:

I’m trying to be very careful at giving criticism to people I don’t know well. They may get offended for reasons mentioned in this topic: they did their best, they see the flaws themselves, and they may get the idea that in all the hard work (and the story they tell through their video) you saw only flaws.
My general policy is to mention all the positive sides first and then carefully make a humble suggestion about potential improvements.

My suggestions for the topic:

1) It would be great if people who are brave enough to encourage constructive criticism of their videos put the note in the description. Some viewers do read the description.))

2) Specific questions would be really helpful, otherwise the temptation to be hypercritical is too strong.

3) Criticism in the form of tutorials, when you see a typical mistake in numerous videos, is the idea I really like! Not that I’m brave enough to make such videos myself, but I’d love to see them to check if I’m making any of those typical mistakes.))
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/katarinamor
BoxFaery

No. of posts : 6
Registration Date : 2015-09-14

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:20 am

Personally, I used to always ask for constructive criticism on stuff, even going so far as to have a survey for my subscriber about the kind of content they like seeing from me, but in the end I had so little constructive, and so much criticism (I actually got told "less surveys more originality") that I stopped asking. Most of the flaws pointed out were ones I already knew about, but didn't have the skill or time or energy to fix, and when I asked people how they would fix it or what they would suggest I wouldn't get a reply. And I think that is crucial when giving constructive crit! You can't just say this is a problem, you should say why don't you try this next time.

Like many of you I am my own worst critic, but I know I have limits, I know when something is out of my league to perfect and I deal with that fact. To have what I couldn't do pointed out to me blankly with no suggestion on how to fix it is frustrating and comes across as quite hurtful sometimes, depending on how its addressed.

As for giving constructive crit, I try to be as helpful as possible when I do, but know that it may not be welcome so tend to keep it to a select few people who I know more personally and who know I am just trying to help them out. Like my sister, or my best friends.

I may start asking for constructive crit in the form of does anyone know how to fix ____? as at least then I wont have the same mistake pointed out 3 times with no ideas on how to actually sort it :/

EDIT: Sorry I only just realised this is old o.o but the video from CCK95 only just turned up in my subs? So YT is dumb as ever and sorry for reviving a dead thread with my silly opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cck95
Admin

No. of posts : 147
Registration Date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:21 pm

@BoxFaery: It doesn't matter how old it is - reading yours, and everyone else's, opinion is always helpful and it really shows that everyone has something to say about things like these. ^_^ But STUPID YOUTUBE?!?!?! Why does it seems like youtube always finds a new way of f*cking shit up?! xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/CCK95
ACMusicVids

No. of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Most of the times I already know my mistakes, so for someone to point them out without me asking for it would be quite annoying to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjLgVTwSSJT67Mf_iXKA-CA?spfrelo
girlfriend

No. of posts : 13
Registration Date : 2014-10-27

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 am

the truth, I'm getting very bad criticism, xD am extremely sensitive so if the criticism is "very hard" I get sad easily xD however, I would like to receive some, as I never was fully satisfied and I would like to improve. Sometimes I am tempted to "criticize" something in the videos of other people, and I notice some error oalgo could improve, but you never know how people react :c
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?   

Back to top Go down

DotD || Constructive Criticism in the comments?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1