Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mika-hime

No. of posts : 68
Registration Date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:37 am

Hey guys! *spaming forum - Act II*

Let's talk about the most difficult thing in the editing world... Crossovers. At least, it's the worst thing for me (besides colorings, I mean ;P).

I ask for Problems you have, and how to solve them.
My biggest problem in the world is: Finding a theme or a couple or whatever to be the theme the video is about.

I often have thoughts of manips that would look be great, but I just can't put it into a good story! How do you find your themes?
I tried many ways:
- Thinking of a story and putting the characters in afterwards (didn't worked, because I made too difficult stories)
- Knowing what characters I want and trying to make a story (didn't worked... at all)

I think, I'm just not creative enough -.-

How about you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kikyo0takarai

No. of posts : 42
Registration Date : 2014-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 am

Well If you look at my channel I mostly do crossovers, I find it so hard to develop interesting Canon videos XD but this is what I do:

1.- Songs, I tend to obsess with a song, I use Taylor Swift a lot for how narrative her songs are, when I find a song I like I picture it in my head, I try to follow the lyrics in my head and create scenes or story lines, I don´t need to know the pairing yet, just decide what will happen. Some times I listen to a song and it reminds me of a character and then I visualize, that is how my first round for DET 2 came to be XD

2.- Characters: I have pairs I love to edit with, Merida and Hiccup/Jack/ Flynn, Miguel x Sinbad etc. Sometimes I know I want to work with them cause I have already developed a little story, for example, my Sinbad x Miguel videos always have a sad ending, for me they have a complicated relationship XD so I have fun finding songs that help me show off how hurtful they can get or how much they try to be together though it hardly works out.

Well...I go on like that, sometimes I like to sit and think of the most odd pair I can think of and consider making a video with them, I have a weird Anastasia Tremaine x Kronk thing cooking for example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NightsStolen

No. of posts : 62
Registration Date : 2014-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:49 am

I understand what you guys are saying about crossovers XD They're just so much fun but so much work

My process:

1. (Like Maria) I like to begin with a song because I feel like the connection between the story and the song used to tell it are super important! Like you wouldn't use 'oops I did it again' for a family video Razz And also the song really guides my creativity. Tbh, I don't have a story (most of the time) till I hear a song and wherever that song takes me is where I find my story/idea and eventually as I make the video, i kind of snowball until it is a very rounded plot. 

2. Once I have a story, I end up feeling like only certain characters could play certain roles whether it be because of their personality (which is what it is most of the time) or how they look. For instance, right now I've been mulling over a story and basically it needs a priest or judge official and though Frollo is a villain, I've been considering using him as the good guy priest or judge or whatever (: simply because his looks fit the role! But I also need a sweet innocent member and have been considering Thumbelina because she's simply so sweet and naive!

So I think the only way to create a story (for me, for you it may be different because everyone has their process! c: ) is by listening to a song or being inspired by something you've seen,read,etc. I think it's really difficult to force up a video though I know how frustrating a creativity block can be u.u

For manips that you like, I think that maybe you should just branch from their personalities or whatever would happen between them if they were to meet (like I feel if Odette and Naveen met they might be a problem relationship or she might blow him off cause he's all looky-looky and she's all 'what else do you like about me?') because it's just the simplest. Then again, you could go another route with just their appearances like Jasmine and Anastasia both have princess outfits and raggedy-anne outfits so they could have a story where they're beggars who hit the lotto or something XD

So these are what help me 1.Songs to story 2. Characters to story match ups or just plain old personalities vs. looks! Pretty sad that I can simplify it so easily lol I hope this helped!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/NightsStolen
Mika-hime

No. of posts : 68
Registration Date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 am

Thank you guys.
Only shit, that your ideas won't work at me. Songs don't inspire me enough to make a whole video. At crossovers it's always that I am first searching for a story and then I search for a song. Maybe that's just the wrong technology XD
(I just don't know what to do for the second round! I am still working ON THE STORY! I don't even know, which animal I could use. I don't have many 2D-Animal movies and the CGI I don't think I could do)
-> That's why I like writing more. There you have limitless possibilities, when you edit you just have the footage that appeared in the movies.
My OTPs are the best examples XD I love to write to them, but I just can't edit with them. That's funny^^

That with the manips is the worst thing in the world! XD
I have some good ideas for a Elsa and Toothless crossover, but the story I would have would be much too complicated. By the way, do you think Toothless is ranged as an animal? If yes, I would maybe have a idea XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TigerLilly

No. of posts : 14
Registration Date : 2014-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:22 am

If im making a normal avarage video, I use how I feel that day to put a story and words too that character I intend on focusing on, if im mad- I make Jim mad , for instance.its also the music that sets the tones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kikyo0takarai

No. of posts : 42
Registration Date : 2014-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:24 am

It helps me to also listen to a song for a long time, I am doing a videos now about Jack frost being a jerk to two girls that was born as him only being a jerk to one so XD Some times you just need to over think stuff to make it work
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlfriend

No. of posts : 13
Registration Date : 2014-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:50 am

I'm a half / half while singing helps ua "general idea" does not inspire me totalmentexD sometimes I have ua rough idea and what makes the song is termiar to flesh xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radstyles

No. of posts : 19
Registration Date : 2014-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 pm

I always just choose a song for my couple (and I don't necessarily have like a plot for the vid, but I have worked out the story behind the couple before I begin). Then I just kinda start editing with the song without really knowing what kind of storyline I'm following.
That usually turns out ok bc the viewers can choose for themselves whatever they want the actual storyline to be like. I only helped them on their way n_n
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!   

Back to top Go down

Watch out! It's gonna be a crossover!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1