A community for all the editors on Youtube that work with Disney

HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

SonyVegas old and new versions: are there differences?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katarinamor

No. of posts : 4
Registration Date : 2015-08-27

PostSubject: SonyVegas old and new versions: are there differences?   Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Hello there!)

For a long-long time I've been using my old loyal Sony Vegas 8 (which was outdated even when I first got it, lol) so I'd like to ask Disney editors who have updated their Vegases through the years: do the newer versions have any features you find useful for Disney editing? From their descriptions I got the idea that they just eat up more hardware and allow you to work with some crazy professional HD and 3D stuff, but maybe I'm missing something Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/katarinamor
LadySaraK

Registration Date : 2015-08-15

PostSubject: Re: SonyVegas old and new versions: are there differences?   Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi! Smile
I upgraded from Sony Vegas 8 to 11 when my computer crashed and my hard drive was busted, so I'll tell you what I noticed about the new version so far (there may be more to it, this is based solely on my own experience with Vegas):

1- There are some new effects, like the "Soft Contrast" which is pretty cool, and you can also adjust it to blur the edges of the clips without having to use two layers to do it. There are other effects but I haven't tried them and frankly I'm not sure if they're "new".

2- The text editor is different, it has more options, like the ability to change the line spacing and the spacing between the letters too (which is called "tracking" in Vegas).
Also, you can now move the text directly from the preview screen. I personally liked the old one better, mainly because with SV11 you need a really steady hand to align the words if you have more than one layer of text (I used to move the text around using the keyboard cursors with SV8, now any slight movement of the mouse/mouse pad will make the text jump or worse, grow BIGGER) Very Happy

3- You can animate different controls in a single effect separately, like for example, if you use the Color Corrector, you have three controls: the highlights, the midtones and the shadows, so you can animate each of these three separately with separate timelines/keyframes... they each have an "animate" button next to them.

That's about it! I'm not sure if it eats up the hardware because I used each version on a different computer so I can't really tell if there's a tangible difference in terms of processing (other than what the software description tells you, that is). I'd like to hear what other editors think, maybe I'll discover something new about the program myself! Smile

P.S. I discovered something recently about the text editor, which is that you can still use the old one if you have project files saved from Sony Vegas 8 with text, the new version will work with the old text editor just fine!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/engsarak
katarinamor

Registration Date : 2015-08-27

PostSubject: Re: SonyVegas old and new versions: are there differences?   Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Thank you, it's really helpful!Smile

engsarak wrote:
with SV11 you need a really steady hand to align the words if you have more than one layer of text (I used to move the text around using the keyboard cursors with SV8, now any slight movement of the mouse/mouse pad will make the text jump or worse, grow BIGGER) Very Happy
Sounds HORRIBLE! Laughing I usually use the keyboard, too, - its precision makes me happy.

And even though number 3 sounds useful, so far I don't feel like updating my SV, haha! Smile)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/katarinamor
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SonyVegas old and new versions: are there differences?   

Back to top Go down

SonyVegas old and new versions: are there differences?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1